August 20, 2008

The local sheriff in JAIL?!

As I was getting ready for work this morning, I had my regular radio talk show on and they were talking about the local county sheriff being in jail. They said he hadn't released a statement yet and were unsure as to why.

I had to do some research and found out the following...

WAUKEGAN, Ill. (AP) - Lake County Sheriff Mark Curran was locked up today.
He's spending a week in jail voluntarily.


He says his goal is to talk to inmates so he can see the jail from their perspective. He says he wants some introspection, but says he's also being realistic and knows he can't fully recreate the inmate experience.

Curran says he's also trying to draw attention to the fact that jails are overpopulated with the mentally ill, the uneducated and repeat offenders. He says rehabilitation needs to be a focus.

Unlike the other inmates, however, Curran gets to leave on a date he chooses. He'll leave next Wednesday.

I think it's kind of neat, however, I'm sure it'll be totally different for him. Nice try though!

source

0 comments: